Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Living room stripes

We aren't taupe. Well, I'm sure my husband would love to be, but he also loves when I take him out of his comfort zone. We got married on the beach in front of 10 people. We bought an older home with character instead of an '80s style pre-fab. Ipso facto, we aren't taupe.


Living room stripes
Originally uploaded by Lang_Ston


So our taupe needed a little...pizazz. Tone-on-tone stripes. My mother-in-law was pushing me pretty hard to do a faux finish somewhere in the house [she's a studied proficient at wall fauxs]. However, I still didn't know exactly how our decorating would look and our tastes can run pretty divergent. But tone-on-tone stripes I really -- REALLY -- dig.

Sure, it's a lot of work for a subtle effect, but every time I look at them I have a smug satisfaction that what we accomplished was pretty great.

It took an entire evening and the next morning to get that sucker taped off. We only striped two walls, a compromise between what my husband wanted [one] and what I wanted [all four], but it ended up being the perfect amount. Using our laser level, we taped off the horizontal stripes: two 3", two 12", and one 6" in the middle. The exterior back wall was so cold, though, that the painters tape wouldn't stay up.


Stripes are drying
Originally uploaded by Lang_Ston


That morning, we took our high-gloss rollers to the flat eggshell paint. In hindsight [after watching loads of HGTV], we should have sealed the tape by painting the eggshell over the seams before we started the high-gloss, but we managed without. Paint. Start to pull the tape so the new paint doesn't get stuck and dry underneath. He followed behind me with a spackle trowel covered in a damp cloth, making sure the vertical drips were wiped up in a timely fashion, maintaining the integrity of our horizontal lines.



Once it dried, we could barely see the difference when looking at it head-on. But at an angle, with the light shining in the right direction, our stripes look marvelous. The tape wasn't perfectly straight down the lines. The drips caused a bit of trouble on the back end of the project. But now that it's dry, you can't notice the problems that plagued us during the process.

This picture is the back wall stripes. They continue on the inside wall. That's my parents' old couch [more on that soon], and one of our first big purchases: Sloane leaning bookshelves from Crate + Barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment